I am inspired by the natural world, hypnotized by the vastness of the sea, lulled into calm by the woods. My work derives from this world and ultimately returns, as nature and time have their way with things.
Sustainability is my guiding practice. My materials–cotton, silk, plant leaves, and dyes–are all natural, with many of local origin. The unique pieces of art-to-wear and wall art I create contemplate the aspect of our nature to see an image in a random pattern…to impose order on a natural process.
Bundle dying USA cotton or vintage silk with local leaves and plant dyes are my primary means of creating surface design on textiles. Before bundling, I arrange natural dyes, leaves, and found items on lengths of cloth in carefully composed patterns and colors. The overall composition is not revealed until after bundles are heated, thus stimulating the magical process of botanical alchemy. Opening each bundle is a gift to me from nature, which I then respectfully transform into a work of art.
I create one-size-fits-all fashions from USA cotton Jersey, cut and machine sewn by me. The wall art I create is mounted on linen using wheat or rice paste, then wrapped on frames.
- Beth Hester – Random Weave Basketry, 2016
- Jiyoung Chung – Joomchi, 2017
- Jo Campbell Amsler – Random Willow Weave Basketry, 2018
- Akemi Nakano Cohen – Natural Dyes and Stencil Resists, 2018
- Bryant Holsenback – Wire wrapping and recycled materials, 2019
Materials used in my work:
- USA Cotton, silk and linen (Dharma Trading Co)
- Blue – Indigo (River Cottage Farm, KY; Stony Creek Colors, TN) , Woad (my garden)
- Red – Madder (Stony Creek Colors, TN)
- Yellow – Weld, Marigold, Tumeric (my garden)
- Orange – Osage Orange (Stony Creek Colors, TN)
- Brown – Walnut, Hickory (my garden)
- Rust – Old nails, Steel wool
- Black – Rust water
- Leaves – Smokebush, Walnut, Oak, False Indigo, Sage, Rose, Strawberry (my garden)
Natural Dye and Slow Fashion Resources:
- The Art and Craft of Natural Dyeing by J. N. Lyles
- The Modern Natural Dyer by Kristine Vejar
- Eco Colour: Botanical Dyes for Beautiful Textiles, by India Flint
- Alabama Studio: Sewing + Design, by Natalie Chanin
- Stony Creek Colors, Robertson County, TN
- Craft(s) Gallery, Louisville, KY
- High Country Art and Antiques, Blue Ridge, GA
- Interconnected, Downing Museum, Bowling Green, KY, July 13, 2019
- Gallery Hop, Pushin Building Artists Studio, Bowling Green, KY, July 16, August 9, 2019
- Ellis Walker Gallery, August 9, 2019
- Bowling Green Makers Market, Kirby Library, Bowling Green, KY, August 10, 2019
- Kentucky Craft, Lexington KY, August 16-17, 2019